FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
No. 1 Franklin Pierce won an OT thriller on Friday in the semifinals against Saint Rose, earning a 6-5 win and the right to host the NE10 Championship on Sunday. No. 6 Assumption blanked No. 2 SNHU in an upset at Penmen Stadium, setting up a meeting with the Ravens for the NE10 title.
#1 Franklin Pierce 6, #4 Saint Rose 5 (OT) - Box Score
RINDGE, N.H.– If a barn stood at Sodexo Field, it would have burned to the ground long before the completion of Friday night's Northeast 10 Conference Championship semifinal. The energy from the No. 8 nationally ranked Franklin Pierce University women's soccer team and Saint Rose would have reduced it to ashes before regulation was even completed, as the two locked horns in a game which could simply stand in as the definition of "barnburner". Each team trailed by two goals at one point in the contest, which eventually went to overtime. Ultimately, the top-seeded Ravens got a 93rd-minute goal from senior midfielder Nathalia Maria da Silva (Sao Paulo, Brazil) – her second of the game – to post a 6-5 victory over the fourth-seeded Golden Knights.
With the win, Franklin Pierce improves to 14-1-2, while Saint Rose falls to 13-4-3.
Franklin Pierce advances to host the final round of the NE10 Championship on Sunday, the team's second straight trip to the final. The Ravens will host Assumption in the title game, after the sixth-seeded Greyhounds scored a 2-0 upset on the road at second-seeded Southern New Hampshire in Friday's other semifinal. Sunday will mark the return of the NE10 final to Sodexo Field for the first time since 2008, and the fifth time overall. It will be Franklin Pierce's 12th appearance in the league championship game.
#6 Assumption 2, #2 SNHU 0 - Box Score
- Score: Assumption 2, Southern New Hampshire 0 - NE10 Semifinals
- Records: Assumption (11-6-2), Southern New Hampshire (13-4-2),
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption's defense came through with an impressive shutout performance while sophomore Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional) scored and dished off an assist to lead the sixth-seeded Hounds to the NE10 Championship Game with a 2-0 victory over No. 2 seed Southern New Hampshire on a rainy Friday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took the 1-0 lead in just the 16th minute of action. Shatney took possession of the ball on the far sideline, stopped and sent a cross into the box for Kallie Villemaire (Plattsburgh, N.Y. / Beekmantown). The senior trapped the ball, turned and fired a low shot into the near corner of the net for the 1-0 lead.
- The Penman put pressure on Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy), but the junior came through with four saves over the final 30 minutes of the half to maintain the one-goal advantage.
The Hounds added to their lead in the 54th minute. Ania Spina (Wallingford, Conn. / Mark T. Sheehan) took possession of the ball just inside midfield, turned and fired a beautiful through ball to a streaking Shatney. The sophomore beat the defender, dribbled inside the 18 and sent a low shot past the charging keeper, which bounced off the near post and into the goal.
SNHU kept attacking the Assumption goal over the final 30 minutes of action, but the back line of Sammy Ferrera (Natick, Mass. / Natick), Emily MacDonald (Ludlow, Mass. / The Williston Northampton School) and Kiana Rocco (Guilford, Conn. / Sacred Heart Acad.) held strong with Nason to preserve the shutout.
Final scores from around the NE10 tonight. Championship games are set for Sunday!— The NE10 (@TheNortheast10) November 2, 2018
MSOC ⚽️@AUPanthersvs. @MC_Athletics- 1 p.m.
WSOC ⚽️@FPUathleticsvs. @acgreyhounds- 5 p.m.#NE10EMBRACEpic.twitter.com/DZyfgyu2hb
Tuesday, October 30th
Quarterfinals – at Higher Seeds
Match 1: #1 Franklin Pierce 5, #8 American International 1
Match 2: #2 Southern New Hampshire 2, #7 Southern Conn. State 1 (2OT)
Match 3: #6 Assumption 2, #3 Stonehill 1
Match 4: #4 Saint Rose 5, #5 Saint Anselm 0
Friday, November 2nd
Semifinals - at Higher Seeds
Match 5: #1 Franklin Pierce 6, #4 Saint Rose 5 (OT)
Match 6: #6 Assumption 2, #2 SNHU 0
Sunday, November 4th
Championship – 5:00 p.m. at Franklin Pierce
Match 7: #1 Franklin Pierce vs. #6 Assumption
-Information for this release provided by Assumption and Franklin Pierce athletic communications offices-
ABOUT THE NE10
The NE10 is an association of 15 diverse institutions serving student-athletes across 24 NCAA Division II sports. Together we build brilliant futures by embracing the journey of every student-athlete.
Each year, 4,500 of those student-athletes compete in conference championships in 24 sports, making the NE10 the largest DII conference in the country in terms of sport sponsorship. Leading the way in the classroom, on the field and within the community, the NE10 is proud of its comprehensive program and the experience it provides student-athletes.