FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NE10 Leads All Conferences in Total Number of Student-Athletes Recognized
MANSFIELD, Mass. - The Northeast-10 Conference had 1,122 student-athletes recognized recently by the Division 2 Athletics Directors Association (D2 ADA) with Academic Achievement Awards. The Academic Achievement Awards is a program that recognizes the academic accomplishments of student-athletes at the Division II level. In total, 10,116 NCAA Division II student-athletes from 162 institutions were recognized with 2017-18 Academic Achievement Awards.
“As an Officer for the D2 ADA Board, it has pleased me to see the number of student-athletes recognized for their academic achievements continue to increase," said current D2 ADA President Jim Johnson, director of athletics at Pittsburg State. "This program is a point of pride for our current D2 ADA member institutions and a great way for their student-athletes’ achievements to be recognized nationally. On behalf of the D2 ADA, we congratulate and celebrate these academic distinctions and are proud of your accomplishments.”
- Merrimack led all NE10 member institutions with 119 student-athletes honored. Adelphi and Bentley each had 117 recognized to finish tied for second, while Southern New Hampshire had 99 honorees to finish fourth among NE10 schools.
- 11 of the NE10's 15 members had at least 50 student-athletes honored.
- The NE10's total of 1,122 honorees was 191 more than the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference, which finished second with 931 student-athletes honored.
In order for a student-athlete to receive an Academic Achievement Award, the athletics director of the Division II institution must be a current dues-paying member of the D2 ADA. Also, the student-athlete must:
- have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- have attended a minimum of two years (four semesters) of college level work
- have been an active member of an intercollegiate team during his/her last academic year
ABOUT THE NE10
The NE10 is an association of 15 diverse institutions serving student-athletes across 24 NCAA Division II sports. Together we build brilliant futures by embracing the journey of every student-athlete.
Each year, 4,500 of those student-athletes compete in conference championships in 24 sports, making the NE10 the largest DII conference in the country in terms of sport sponsorship. Leading the way in the classroom, on the field and within the community, the NE10 is proud of its comprehensive program and the experience it provides student-athletes.
ABOUT D2 ADA: The D2 ADA is the first organization of its kind to provide educational and networking opportunities; enhancement of acceptable operating standards and ethics; and establishment of the overall prestige and understanding of the profession of Division II athletics directors. For more information about the D2 ADA, please visit www.div2ada.com. The D2 ADA is administered by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA), which is in its 54th year. For more information on NACDA and the 17 professional associations that fall under its umbrella, please visit www.nacda.com.