FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Coaches Select Chargers to Defend Their NE10 Title This Fall
MANSFIELD, Mass. – Defending Northeast-10 Conference and East Regional Champion New Haven has been selected as the preseason favorite in the NE10 Volleyball Coaches' Poll, it was announced today. The Chargers defeated crosstown rival Southern Connecticut in five sets a year ago to claim their sixth NE10 Championship in program history. New Haven went 26-8 a year ago and return a talented group that includes NE10 Rookie of the Year Kali Greathead, pictured, and conference Setter of the Year, Kristine Rios.
For complete results of the poll, which is voted upon by the league's head coaches, please see below.
- New Haven received 179 total points, ten more than second-place American International in the voting, to earn the top spot.
- Four teams (AIC, Southern Connecticut, Bentley, and Adelphi) received between 169 and 161 total points in this year's poll.
- The Chargers were one of five NE10 programs to receive at least one first-place vote as they were picked on top by six coaches. Also being picked to win the title by at least one NE10 head coach were: Southern Connecticut (4), Adelphi (3), AIC (1), and Bentley (1).
- Last year, four NE10 programs received bids to compete in the NCAA Tournament field. AIC, New Haven, Saint Anselm, and Southern Connecticut all competed in the East Regional with the Chargers defeating the Yellow Jackets in straight sets to win the East Regional Title.
- The preseason favorite Chargers have a new head coach this fall as legendary leader Robin Salters is now the school's Deputy Director of Athletics and Senior Woman Administrator. Ana Paula Pego, served as an assistant at New Haven for the last four seasons, was named the head coach during the offseason.
2018 NE10 VOLLEYBALL SCHEDULE NOTES
- The 2018 NE10 Volleyball season opens next Thursday, August 23rd with Franklin Pierce and Southern Connecticut taking the court. 11 NE10 programs will begin play during the opening weekend.
- New Haven will host AIC on Friday, September 14th at 7pm in a battle of the top two teams in the preaseason rankings. The Chargers will then host Southern Connecticut the following Tuesday in a rematch of last year's championship final.
- The NE10 season will culminate with the NE10 Championship, which will begin with Quarterfinal Round action on Tuesday, November 6. The Semifinals will be played on Friday, Nov. 9, while the Championship Match will take place the next day, Saturday, Nov. 10.
ABOUT THE NE10
The NE10 is an association of 15 diverse institutions serving student-athletes across 24 NCAA Division II sports. Together we build brilliant futures by embracing the journey of every student-athlete.
Each year, 4,500 of those student-athletes compete in conference championships in 24 sports, making the NE10 the largest DII conference in the country in terms of sport sponsorship. Leading the way in the classroom, on the field and within the community, the NE10 is proud of its comprehensive program and the experience it provides student-athletes.